Veil

veil outside

A lack of posting on my part can only mean one thing. I am working my butt off in a kitchen far away from computers and the internet. Yes folks, I have found a new home in a small, intimate fine dining restaurant in Seattle called Veil.

I ate at the restaurant durring its first few months of operation in december 2005, and found myself quite taken with the restaurant. The dinner was polished, well thought out, refined, beautiful, and everything tasted perfect. The dining room is one of the most beautiful I had ever seen. It quickly became my dream restaurant, with an aesthetic close to my own, and a type of cuisine to aspire to.

When I put things into perspective, that I was leaving a job because I was unhappy and didn’t want to feel that sting again any time soon, that I was not leaving Seattle anytime soon, and that I wanted to build off the inspiration found at WD-50 and recreate the environment of passion I thrived in at Lampreia, my path was clear. I wanted Veil.

When I use the fact that I am arriving at 8 in the morning and staying until late in the evening as evidence of my pure joy, you might think I am a bit crazy. But to have a place you can pour your heart out to, that inspires and drives you to give 100 percent, well that’s my dream.

I have been working on new desserts, plating them with the chef and then tearing them down. Again, you might think I am crazy to find joy in someone tearing my work apart daily. But each day I go back in, and work on making the dish stronger.

Which is where I am going right now, back into the fire to try a few things again, to recreate a few that I have found success in, and to work my butt off.

11 Responses to “Veil”

1. peabody says:

Congrats on finding a new place to pour your passion into.

2. Laurie says:

Wonderful news! I’m so happy for you and can’t wait to come for dessert. What’s on the menu?

3. Richard Chan says:

Veil has won my heart and become my new favorite restaurant in Seattle now! Seriously, the vegetarian dishes your team created are awesome. It even outshine the other already awesome dishes. More veggies on the menu please :)

4. Britt says:

Welcome to Queen Anne Dana! I’m Brittany, the pastry chef at Betty (Crow’s new sister restaurant). Lisa (the pastry chef at Crow) and I are thrilled to hear that you’re in our ‘hood now! We will in for dessert soon. Congrats, Veil is a gem in this area and it will now shine more than ever : )

5. Kate says:

I just moved to Seattle several months ago. Veil looks wonderful! I will definitely try to make it there next month.

6. Jenny says:

Congrats Dana! Veil is just blocks from me on the hill. I’ll defintely be in now that know you’re there!

7. I am so inspired. Too many day of Anthony Bourdain books have zapped my motivation to cook. Thank you
    for bringing it back.

Peabody- Thanks!

Laurie- I expect to see you and Matthew in soon! As for the menu, I have a kaffir-lemon grass creme brulee with undertones of chamomile I am fond of. Also, a toasted coconut ice cream served with late season raspberries, raspberry coulis, a cocoa-caraway crumble, and your favorite the Gallette Noisette!! Also a honied greek yogurt parfait with roasted peach compote, brown sugar anglaise, robois, and mollasses that’s quite tasty.

Richard- I am so glad you allowed us to treat you to a tasting menu. I was very pleased for the chance to meet you as well.

Britt- Awesome! Thanks for the welcome! Do you work with David Howe too? Last I heard he was at Crow. You’ll have to come visit me in the kitchen when you come in, I would love to meet the neighborhood pastry chefs!

Kate- Welcome to Seattle, and I look forward to welcoming you to Veil as well.

Jenny- Come on down! We look forward to having you.

Savvy- Cheers!

9. We ate their on Tuesday and had a spectacular meal, including Dana’s desserts. (The kaffir-lime/lemongrass Creme Brulee was awesome). Here’s a review.

10. Britt says:

Hi again Dana :)

Yes! I do know that crazy cat David. He worked with me at Betty for a while, but he’s now cookin’ at Opal. When we first opened he mentioned that he worked at Lamprea- I said “Oh my god! Do you know Dana?? I love her blog!” He said you taught him how to make kick ass dessert.
    Hope all is well at Veil. I live just up the street and am always peeking in the window when I walk by to see if you’re in there baking the day away. Lisa and I are coming in for dessert and drinks next week…we’re so excited (she’s a big fan too). So- whats your favorite thing on your menu? That creme brulee sounds heavenly!

11. [...] awhile, the additional motivation for this pilgrimage came when Dana from tastingmenu.com recently signed on as their pastry chef.  But you’ll have to wait a few paragraphs for [...]