Buttered Pecans

A component in a dessert at poppy, I have been keeping my pantry well stocked with buttered pecans.  It’s harder than one would think, what with the dessert they accompany being ridiculously popular.  The dessert is a play on sticky toffee pudding. Cubes of warmed date cake are drenched in hot butterscotch sauce, covered with pieces of medjool dates and the buttered pecans in question.  This warm concoction is crowned with a scoop of banana ice cream.

I can say with confidence, this is the first time, on any menu I have ever created, that a non chocolate dessert is the top seller.

So with the popularity of this dessert, playfully dubbed “hot date cake”, I am churning these buttered pecans out like there is no tomorow.  I realized today, after leaving the salty buttery nuts on the cooling rack too long, that it’s not just the high sales that are diminishing my stores.

Every cook that passed by nicked a few, popping them in their mouths before I noticed.  When I realized that 1/3 of the tray of pecans had gone missing, I confronted the scavengers.

It seems that I have created a few buttered pecan addicts.  I couldn’t blame them, I am one of them.

They get their flavor from being roasted in a coating of melted butter and salt.  As the pecans toast, the milk solids in the butter caramelize, giving these pecans a remarkable depth of richness.  As the pecans cool, the butter oil is absorbed by the pecan, leaving the salt clinging to the nut.  They are tender and crisp, melt in your mouth, salty, buttery, mapley, and completely addictive.

I highly recomend everyone treats pecans in this manner. While you can do healthy things with them, like put them in oatmeal or scatter over a wintery squash soup, I would highly recomend making a sundae.  Maybe with caramel sauce, over chocoalte ice cream, like those tasty little turtle candies.

Just don’t eat them all first.

Buttered pecans

150g pecans (about 1 cup)

25g butter (about 2 tbsp)

5g kosher salt (about 1 tsp)

1.  Melt the butter, and toss with the pecans and salt.

2.  Toast in a 350 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the nuts deepen in color, become fragrant, and you can see that the butter has started to caramelize.

3.  Let them cool and sit for 2 hours before eating, so the butter soaks in.

7 Responses to “Buttered Pecans”

1. Loving Annie says:

Those buttered pecans sound fabulous – thank you for sharing the recipe :)

2. David W. Cowles says:

Am I doing something wrong? According to conversion charts, 5 grams of salt is about 1/10th of a teaspoon–almost too little to measure. The recipe calls for less than 2 tablespoons of butter, and about 5 ounces (slightly more than 1/2 a cup) of pecans. If my calculations are right, it’s no wonder the pecans on your cooling rack disappeared so quickly!

I’m using the conversion table at Gourmet Sleuth.com:

3. helen says:

I’m not surprised that your sticky toffee pudding is your best selling dessert. There’s a few restaurants here in Vancouver that can make the same claim. Thanks for the buttered pecan recipe. One by one, I’ll eventually gather all the components for making my own.

Cheers!

4. clotilde says:

David: The conversion I go by is that 5 grams of salt is equivalent to 1 teaspoon.

(Note that 1 cup = 16 tablespoons = 48 teaspoons, so the GourmetSleuth conversion actually works out to be 1 teaspoon = 292 grams divided by 48 = 6 grams, but weighing such a large volume as a whole cup introduces a slight bias — this is why weight measurements are more reliable.)

5. clotilde says:

Forgot to add that 150 grams pecans amount to about 1 1/2 cup.

6. Wow that sounds beautiful. If i could stop drooling i’d write down the recipie. Thanks so much!

Thanks Clotilde for the conversions, I added my own rough conversions to the end there, a slight oversight on my own part.

David, this recipe was cut down by 20 from the batch I make each week. And do remember to be careful when you convert dry measures. While 150 grams does convert by weight to be about 5 ounces, and by volume that’s just over half a cup, The volume and weight of items are only the same for things in fluids and butter.